1. Exfoliate yes but stay away from oil based salt or sugar scrubs 24hrs before your tan, they leave a heavy residue on the skin that can interfere with the sunless solution.
2. Shave with a new blade either the night before if you have an AM session or the morning of if you have an afternoon or evening session. That way it shaves close and you will not have to shave as soon, also stay away from those womens shave creams...caustic to a sunless tan while you have it on your skin!
3. If your pregnant and in your first trimester either forgo the tan till your 2nd trimester or at least talk to your tech or let the salon know when booking the appt. Your hormones are all over the place and your tan may not come out the best. But please stay OUT of the booths while your pregnant, you do NOT need to inhale that while with baby! I offer my most natural solution and a mask to wear as well while I tan you.
4. Cool it down, meaning your shower temperatures hot water is drying to the skin and your sunless tan. Stay away from baths while you have your tan as well until you want to remove it then soak away! If you take frequent showers 2 or more a day then your tan will not last for the normal amount of time just to let you know.
5. If your a soap user then use an olive oil based soap not cheap commercialized soaps; Dove, Oil of Olay, tone, ivory you get the idea and please stay away from deodorant soaps! With bodywash's use an SLS free one all of the Sodium Lauryl sulfates are drying and can cause your tan to streak.
6. Use lotions that are petrochemical free; petroleum and mineral oil free and nothing anti-aging they are designed to take away dead skin. The more natural the better and moisture is key; nut oils, shea butter, olive oil things that are good for your skin!
Final note~ don't be afraid to ask questions and let your technician know any concerns or problems you may have had with a past experience.