What most of us forget is that the skin has a mind of its own due to your fluctuating hormones. You can get a spray tan one time, go back get the exact same color and it may be a little lighter or darker than last time...WHY you ask?
Several things can contribute to this, like I said hormones play a big role. But other things like medications can really mess with your skin as everything we put into our bodies come out thru our skin and hair. Why do you think they can find out if you have been using drugs thru a hair sample??
So if you have had a recent surgery that as well can mess with your skin. The medications and the anesthesia can play havoc too. Other things like pregnancy and menopause which can cause some extreme fluctuations in your skin can cause your tan to come out lighter, darker or patchy sometimes.
I know this all sounds bad, but I always want my clients to be in the know, if you just had a surgery or are in your first trimester then wait a week or two then make you appointment. Simple fix and a wonderful tan will ensue!
While your pregnant you may think that tanning of any kind is not safe anymore. Well you are partly right, during this most amazing time your body undergoes soooo many transformations.
Laying in the sun for obvious reasons is not the best idea, but the worst is going into the spray booths. The air is full of tanning solution in a thick mist and your breathing that in?! Please stay out of them at least while your pregnant, if you choose to go back to them after up to you.
You also may want to wait till your second trimester as your skin and hormones are in overdrive your tans may turn out a little funky.
You can get a gorgeous tan though thru sunless and thats when you have a technician spray you. I have my clients wear a disposable mask till the end, I also use my Eco-cert. Organic DHA express glow. You have less time on the skin and lots of organic ingredients to replenish your skin.
So if your doing those beautiful pregnancy pictures keep that in mind, I did quite a few this summer and was soooo fun for me. Now if I could just get the pictures from the now new busy Mama's ;)
Cheers Mommies to be!
I have had a wide range of clients over the years from those who have had skin cancer to those who are heading out for a Caribbean vacation to Vegas for a girls weekend.
I think the reasons are many here in Seattle but to me I love it when its just for you and a lifestyle you choose over going to tanning beds. Lately the biggest thing I hear from new clients of mine is " I didn't realize you could get such a natural looking spray tan" people if you have not had an airbrush or spray tan in at least a year or more...its time to give it a try again.
My personal fave is when others can't figure out what you did because its so pretty and compliments you and your skin...Makes your smile brighter and eyes just sparkle. Now thats a good spray tan...sorry Snooki! Your tan at the VMA's tonight made me cringe...Yikes. On the other hand Katie Perry and Lady GaGa looked sooo pretty in exchange for their normally fair complexion.
So next time you look in the mirror and want a little pick me up or if your heading to Hawaii, Cabo or maybe a family reunion...try a little sunless for your occasion!
I have put together alot of info on my prep page but wanted to go over a few things that will help pro-long your tan for you that you may not know about.
1. Exfoliate yes but stay away from oil based salt or sugar scrubs 24hrs before your tan, they leave a heavy residue on the skin that can interfere with the sunless solution.
2. Shave with a new blade either the night before if you have an AM session or the morning of if you have an afternoon or evening session. That way it shaves close and you will not have to shave as soon, also stay away from those womens shave creams...caustic to a sunless tan while you have it on your skin!
3. If your pregnant and in your first trimester either forgo the tan till your 2nd trimester or at least talk to your tech or let the salon know when booking the appt. Your hormones are all over the place and your tan may not come out the best. But please stay OUT of the booths while your pregnant, you do NOT need to inhale that while with baby! I offer my most natural solution and a mask to wear as well while I tan you.
4. Cool it down, meaning your shower temperatures hot water is drying to the skin and your sunless tan. Stay away from baths while you have your tan as well until you want to remove it then soak away! If you take frequent showers 2 or more a day then your tan will not last for the normal amount of time just to let you know.
5. If your a soap user then use an olive oil based soap not cheap commercialized soaps; Dove, Oil of Olay, tone, ivory you get the idea and please stay away from deodorant soaps! With bodywash's use an SLS free one all of the Sodium Lauryl sulfates are drying and can cause your tan to streak.
6. Use lotions that are petrochemical free; petroleum and mineral oil free and nothing anti-aging they are designed to take away dead skin. The more natural the better and moisture is key; nut oils, shea butter, olive oil things that are good for your skin!
Final note~ don't be afraid to ask questions and let your technician know any concerns or problems you may have had with a past experience.
Sunless Tanning is a pretty review based industry as many clients I have if they are not referred they found me thru one of my reviews on the Web.
I'm very proud of my reviews and am grateful for each of them!! But I'm mostly just so happy that those women felt so good after one of my tans that they let me know in a sincere compliment thats what I consider a review...a compliment of my work.
You can check out a the ones on my site of course and also on Yelp.com and facebook.com/divinesunlesstanning they are under the tab "review" at the top of the page.
I hope you all had a safe and very fun Holiday weekend!
Cheers to you!
Loving what I do and keeping busy with my wonderful clients and my 4yr old daughter. I'm very blessed and grateful!!